Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Things my Mother taught me...

Observing my Mom when she taught abroad was in some ways a great learning experience. I think of it as my elementary observational practicum.

One of my main concerns was moving on with the next subject and making sure that everything got done right away.

My Mother made me step back and watch the students. She would ask:

Are they learning?
Are they happy?
If so, let them be.

So today when I had scheduled 30 minutes for an art lesson and it ran for 90, I didn't beat myself up. I stood back and watched the happy kids playing with their 3D forms (origami and paper airplanes). I took them outside to see which designs flew the farthest and we practiced measurement and timing. Then we went back inside and made little origami boxes to take home as gifts.

So far...today has been a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment