I've been here for a month now.
Small differences are beginning to show. I now know the hours of all the important places in town, our local band store is now open until 7:30 on Fridays!! I found the pharmacy yesterday with a little help from my friends.
People say hello to me as I walk around in the village. My students often come running to show me their latest toy or delicious treat. Yesterday the town drunks saluted me as I walked by "You go girl."
I'm starting to feel like a real teacher, not just someone filling in while the real teacher is gone.
I have received a lovely care package -post to follow as soon as I can get pictures up.
Yesterday I ran across two friends out with their kayak, as they pulled into shore the Dad popped out with his son and lay him on the rocky beach -fast asleep and dead to the world. Apparently kayaking is very restful if you aren't the one doing all the paddling.
The weather remains ever changeable. One day it will be warm enough for the local toddlers to be running around in their diapers, the next we will have 100 K wind and snow.
Pumpkin's acne has gone. He loves our big living room window and he meows whenever people walk by. My students wave at him in the morning and talk about him frequently. One of my students had his family pet die last week and when I was commiserating with him I said "You know when my cat died..." I was interrupted by one of my other students who yelled "NOT PUMPKIN??!!" No, not Pumpkin, he is alive and well and basking in the sunshine. He has made friends with a little local tabby who finds refuge on our stoop at night time.
Every time I look up from my computer I can see the sparkling ocean through the trees. To be honest it is not easy to stay inside on such a day. Still, my year plan is due tomorrow...so inside it is.
On the May long weekend there will be a potlatch that I have been looking forward to, it is being thrown by my friend's family. It should be spectacular.
I've tried to make some decisions about the summer such as when I will be back in Nanaimo but nothing is set in stone yet. My fabulous and wonderful Aunt has set up a trip for us to Europe in Mid-July, so I will probably be around for a bit before that and a bit after, probably coming back to Bella Bella around the 10th of August.
No comments:
Post a Comment