Then by chance I discovered the key to his attention. He loves the outdoors and wild life.
So I borrowed some nature films from friends and just...wow.
Our current science unit is on habitats and the Planet Earth Series by David Attenborough is perfect for this because it has several short films, about 45 minutes, each about different habitats and the animals you find in each.
So for the past week we have been watching these short films for science and the kids have been filling in the blanks on little work sheets I have given them.
Now when it is time for science this little boy is at the head of the class. He responds verbally to things with statements like "WOW!" "HOLY MAN, DID YOU SEE THAT???"
I love it.
The other kids enjoy the films too, for many it was the first time they had seen dugongs, giant salamanders, reef fish, and more. They love any of the attack scenes, the moment when a Nile crocodile takes down a wildebeest is probably the class favorite.
When the weather gets a bit warmer we are going to start exploring our own local habitats but for now I just want to saw "THANK-YOU DAVID ATTENBOROUGH!!"
No comments:
Post a Comment