During my education degree I wrote reflections for every class. In fact reflection writing was so frequent we used to joke about reflecting on our reflections. At any rate big changes are coming and the reflector inside of me can't help but reflect.
Things I will never forget from my time here in Bella Bella:
There are so many magical things about Bella Bella but I suppose my favourite is listening to the sound of raven wings as they fly above you.
The eagle trees, eagles perch together in groups on their favourite trees, I've never seen anything like it
The potlatches and cultural ceremonies, I've been a witness to the cultural heritage of the Heiltsuk people.
The sense of community, large events often mean free meals and fish to take home for all community members. The community takes care of it's own.
The wolves, I haven't seen them but I finally heard them about a month ago. I thought I was dreaming at first but then the cat started freaking out and I realized I was indeed hearing wolf howls.
The kids. It's an unspoken rule amongst teachers but often the students they love the most are the most mischievous. Well I adore the crap out of my students and leaving them makes my heart ache.
Me, ha ha. I've undergone some major changes here. I've learned many trial by fire teaching methods and I am a much stronger classroom presence because of it.
"I'm tired of the racism of low expectations." -Sue Gower. This lady changed and empowered my teaching philosophy. Students of all backgrounds must be held to the same standards and supported to get there because easing off, or lowering expectations only serves to let them fall behind. When students leave secondary school and enter the workforce they need to be prepared because no one out there is going to make excuses for them. Access to education is power.
No comments:
Post a Comment