So, I went to Vancouver last week to get in some professional learning.
Er...sorta. The guy giving the conference wrote my assessment text but the conference was in Vancouver and I needed a little get outta Dodge time.
Anyway, I was chomping at the bit to go out and "BUY ALL THE THINGS."
To say the least it wasn't really a fascinating trip to write about. I shopped a lot, in fact I wondered if they would let me bring all my crap on the plane back to Bella Bella. I ate a lot of great foods and got to experience the gorgeous city of Vancouver at twilight. I got to go to True Confections, the awesome Vancouver desert eatery that Mom and I used to frequent.
The conference was AMAZING! I learned a huge amount about teaching and reaffirmed my professional practices. I also had some really honest conversations with my colleagues from Bella Bella and those left me feeling a great deal more confident and happy.
We are so much stronger when we work with each other and so much weaker when we expend energy to bring one another down.
Sounds simple right?
It can be easy to forget when you are at one another's throats for resources and jealous of the support you perceive the others as receiving. SURPRISE!! Teachers are human and we make dumb mistakes.
Like, for instance, going to a fancy sushi eatery, ordering something we didn't recognize and having to ask the amused waitress... "Um, how does this work?"
No comments:
Post a Comment