So, tonight I went out with a group of teachers to celebrate our peer's birthday. Her plans were for all of us to "Get our drink on." We were boarding the sea bus to Shearwater when I realized one of my students was on board. *sigh*
The large restaurant in Shearwater separates the bar from the family eating area by a waist high partition, so the bar is in full view of everyone. My student told me that he was there to get pizza with his family. He was very excited to be out for dinner and I was happy for him but wondering what to do about my social plans for the evening.
Ah, the perils of small town living.
Of course as I was sitting there nursing the one drink I ordered, I could hear the sound of one of my education Proffs in my head "Don't drink in public, don't let people take pictures of you in bars, don't do this, don't do that...etc."
So of course as I'm thinking this, shenanigans are ensuing, someone has a flashing badge pinned to her crotch, and of course, of course...someone is documenting everything with their phone. Technically any of us could be publicly admonished for this evening and it would remain a matter of public record until the end of our careers.
So I stopped drinking.
My evening more or less ended there. The student went home and I still decided to end the evening early. That one night out could put a damper on my whole career was a rather sobering thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment