To explain my absence...I've been very,very,very busy.
So here is a highlight from the last month:
The Christmas concerts in Bella Bella are a big deal. Everyone shows up and all of the students dress to the nines. I had taught my students a poi routine and had borrowed some led juggling balls from our PE teacher to make it extra flashy. The rehearsal went great, no problems, in fact word on the street was that our class had the "coolest" entry in the show.
You can begin to see this is going to go downhill can't you?
The night of the concert arrived and two of my girls showed up wearing very high heels. So high in fact that they were teetering around and clinging to the furniture for support. As my class walked to the stage another one of the girls broke down in tears saying her feet hurt. A volunteer suggested the girl take off her shoes to which the girl angrily shrieked "I CAN'T TAKE THESE SHOES OFF THESE ARE MY GRANDMA'S SHOES!!!"
So the shoes stayed on and she kept crying.
I had been at work all day. I had stayed after school to help with techie stuff and I had been running around like a headless chicken. I didn't have time to go home and change.I was standing next to one of the TAs backstage when he said "hey, what's on your back?"
I reached around and felt glue all over the right side of my back. The TA snickered and said "Hah looks like a giant jizz stain."
As the students arrived at the stage and began their entrance I watched in fearful fascination as the two girls in heels mounted the uneven stage. The music began, the lights went off and the poi turned on, there was an appreciative oooh from the audience. I tried not to notice the two off-balance girls in their heels as they whizzed the poi around their heads, narrowly missing other students. Everything was more or less going alright when out of nowhere one of my little men biffed himself in the face and went down like a sack of potatoes. He made the most of his moment by screaming, crying, and flailing. He refused to stand back up. The others finished their routine, walked off the stage and we're gone. I had to go and peel the child off of the stage in front of about 300 people. With The Stain on my back.
No comments:
Post a Comment