Last Wednesday I left for a professional development conference in Vancouver, when I left them my entire class was there. When I arrived back on Monday one of them was missing. I assumed he was ill or out of town with his parents until one of the teachers informed me that he had left for good.
"It is all over facebook, his other parent got custody and he isn't coming back."
"What?"
This young man had shown up at the beginning of the year and immediately came to my notice for all the wrong reasons. Of course for whatever reason the trouble makers ALWAYS worm their way into your heart. Every time I saw this little man outside of school he always ran over and shared whatever he was doing with me. He liked to talk about how things work and his discoveries.
The last day I saw him he was on the field with the sun at his back, calling my name and waving. I couldn't see his face but I recognized the voice and waved back.
I wish I had, had a chance to say good-bye. There was no forwarding address.
No comments:
Post a Comment