After reading this article, I find myself equally inspired and horrified.
Inspired because I believe that we, the people who oppose enbridge, will not sit by quietly while the Harper Government implements another disastrous decision that will have long term ramifications for Canadians on the West Coast.
I remember in the eighties when my friends and family were being arrested for chaining themselves to trees in an effort to save Carmanah. This feels very familiar.
What isn't familiar is the depth of feeling. There is no one in this village that would support the pipeline going through, absolutely no one. When I arrived here most of my students had hoodies and t-shirts declaring the Heiltsuk nation's opposition to the pipeline, most houses had anti-enbridge stickers on them, and the sentiment was dead clear. After the province declined the deal with enbridge the hoodies were still evident but the stickers started to fade and the village almost seemed to sigh with relief. When the pipeline had seemed imminent it was clear that people here would be prepared to die to protect this land and their right to it. Having lived here I just can't and don't want to imagine what an oil spill would do to this place and the people in it.
Just because we can do a thing doesn't mean that we should. There are places and things that once we have destroyed we will never be able to replace. This place, this special place, the home of the spirit bear is so totally intertwined with each part of the ecosystem dependent on the other. The idea of oil being spilled in any part of it...horrifying.
Words fail me. Enbridge and Stephen Harper...go Fuck yourselves. You aren't welcome here.
No comments:
Post a Comment