Friday, 20 September 2013

Another one bites the dust.

We are three weeks into the year and we have just lost one of our teachers. It is a difficult post to fill and it will take sometime to get someone here, hopefully someone who is flexible and adaptable.  It is hard to say this without sounding like a jerk but I saw this coming, the person in question is really nice but stuck in their ways and in a place like this it is important to be able to go with the flow.

In other news:

I finally feel as though I hit my stride today. I was comfortable teaching my class and felt confident enough when the Vice Principal came into our room to continue teaching without missing a beat. It can be rather daunting teaching when being observed, I always feel as though I'm missing something or doing it wrong.

It looks as though summer has officially ended here in Bella Bella, as the rains have arrived. This is a sad moment for the kids because every day after school they were going down to the government dock to leap off the side. One of the times I was down there the students had also co-opted a random yacht that was moored alongside the dock and were jumping off the side while the bemused owner sat watching with a glass of wine.

Tomorrow is international peace day so at school we made pinwheels for peace. The problem was that the process it'self was not peaceful. It should have been fun, we made the pinwheels with another class, and the pinwheels are pretty cool. But...my students were being jerks. Thats right I said it, jerks. They mocked the whole concept of peace, refused to clean up after themselves, drew guns on their pinwheels, stuck each other with pushpins, and generally behaved in a hilarious manner IF you are an observer, as their teacher...jerks.

Drama class is going really well. Once a week I teach both of the 5/6 splits at the same time, this week we played living statues and the class, if I may say, was a TON of fun. I am always tickled by the bravery and creativity of kids, if only we were all so fearless!

About a year ago I aggravated an old back injury and the doctor said that I needed to start taking better care of myself or I would continue to have problems. Well, uh, I should have listened. My back is causing me chronic and severe pain. So I am walking with a limp by noon almost every day. I bought some yoga dvds on amazon.ca and am hoping they will do the trick.

Also, Lindsie this part is for you...

The bunnies are doing well. Marshmallow continues to grow and fine new and exciting ways to amaze the class. For some reason our broom closet has a hole in the bottom, it looks as though it is a space for a mail slot, anyway our bold bunny hopped in there the other day and decided she likes it so she often hangs out in the broom closet. She also figured out how to jump out of the top of her cage and shortly afterwards taught Thumper. Thumper is very sweet but not nearly as clever or bold as his female buddy. We had some electronics installed in our class over the summer and it has been a constant battle to keep our wires organized and about four days ago our internet power supply cord was dangling too low and with one aggressive snip, she severed it. After some swearing I took the cord to our tech guy and after he stopped laughing at me he provided a replacement, thank goodness for him!!





No comments:

Post a Comment