Sunday, 29 September 2013

Bits and pieces on a soggy Sunday morning.

A young student of mine has developed an allergy to the bunnies so they have been moved into the Grade seven classroom. This is a HUGE disappointment for all of us and there is some doubt as to whether or not the young person in question is telling the truth as he has other motivations and no obvious symptoms. Frustrating. The bunnies are happy and healthy and enjoying their new digs and at the end of the year they will come home with me and stay home with me. I love the bunnies and their personalities are so vivacious and hilarious.

It is amazing the difference an influx of new blood makes. The new teachers this year have made all the difference. We socialize often and the laughs are frequent and contagious. Last year we weren't allowed to speak to the construction workers, now we are on first name basis with all of them, and they are a lot of fun to be around. They are from the far corners of Canada and have lots of stories to share. Last night we had a party with all of the teachers and some of the workers. Our host left us alone in her front room for too long and we may have switched her ipad settings to Spanish, hidden it in a difficult to find spot, and set the alarm for every hour on the hour for the entire evening.

The weather has been rainy. Every day. Rain. Sideways rain, straight down rain, drizzle rain, and just flat out pouring rain. West Coasters are totally familiar with what I'm talking about but the teachers who have come here from across Canada are beginning to despair. Here in Bella Bella, we are only a few hours north of Nanaimo where I used to live but the difference in weather is amazing. Already we are having the kind of cold weather that you would expect in late October, if you lived mid-Vancouver Island. The cold has set in and I've had to turn the indoor heating on. Pumpkin is my constant lap warmer

My students are going to create a haunted house for Halloween. I am very excited about this as I remember making a most spectacular haunted house with my now deceased grade six teacher Mrs. Knights. We are doing this with the help of the grade sevens who have a fabulous teacher. Any ideas for inexpensive effective scary tricks would be most appreciated. I've ordered a few things out of pocket but would rather not spend any more of my own money.

I've ordered some halloween candy from well.ca because the cost of purchasing it in the band store is inflated. A box of mini chocolate bars that would cost about $10-17 anywhere else, here it is $21. Still people buy it, in fact several of my students have been showing up with halloween candy for snack food. Tsk, tsk. :) There are often occasions when I do not buy something at the band store just because of the exorbitant prices, ordering is much cheaper especially if I do it in bulk. Still there are days when I just really want or need something and I will shell out the extra cash. Some of the prices aren't that much more than anywhere else but after awhile it adds up.

Lastly, I want to thank you all for reading. I can not believe the positive response I have had from friends, extended family and sometimes random readers. I've even had people suggest I consider writing as a second career, I don't think I'm there yet but nonetheless VERY flattering!! So for those of you who take the time to read about my adventures/misadventures and bunny stories, thank-you so very much!!

Looking forward to the rest of the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment