I live in a VERY small place. The population of our school is only 200.
Word gets around quickly and reputations can be built up or trashed in the blink of an eye.
Someone made a mistake today and blamed it on me.
I found this out because my Mother was subbing at the school and she came across this person talking about me. I am actually at home sick thanks to long-term back issues. My students went on a field trip today that I knew my back couldn't handle so I opted out and stayed home to get some work done.
This day has served as a reminder to me: When you have a problem take it up with that person, don't stand in the middle of a crowded room ranting about said person to all and sundry. It is unprofessional.
When I first arrived people were very welcoming and I was constantly told I was doing a good job, it felt nice. As time went on though the platitudes washed away and I realized I am in a very difficult situation with no experience. I don't know what people are saying about me now but when I listen to myself sometimes I feel as though I have become very bitter. I wouldn't want to hang around with me.
I don't really care if people like me but I do care about being respected and I do care about having a reputation for following through with things I have said I would do.
Come on summer, hurry up and get here!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment