Sunday, 26 May 2013

So much to do

The end of the school year is just around the proverbial corner. I have been a bit tardy in my blog posting...sorry.

Bits and pieces...

Potlatch time
The potlatch that my Mother and I helped out at was an amazing event. We were able to witness the Red Cedar Bark ceremony and the Peace ceremony, both of these are about 3-4 hours of dancing. These two ceremonies are special and unique to these families and no one was allowed to photograph or tape them being performed. I won't describe the events out of respect to the family but I will share some of the interesting bits and pieces I learned.

When dancing at the potlatch dancers twirl to their left when entering the dance floor this signifies an entry into the spirit world.

When dancers wear their regalia reversed this signifies that their character is from the spirit world.

At a potlatch everyone is fed and at the end there is a disbursement of gifts. The gifts can range from dollar store trinkets, to paddles, to socks, to flour, to bath sets, and sugar...all kinds of gifts.

Dances can be owned by one person and only they have the right to organize their performance. These dances may be passed through families or given as gifts.

You are not supposed to wear the same regalia to more than one potlatch so tons and tons of sewing had to be done to prepare for this potlatch.

Potlatches are most often done here in memoriam of a family member who has died. It costs a lot of money to pull together a potlatch so it has taken some families as long as eleven years to save up for a potlatch in memory of their loved ones.

Adoption is often done at potlatches, people will adopt friends or significant people into their families and these people will henceforth be referred to as a family member. Pretty cool.

My Mother and I were both honoured and given gifts in front of the attendees, this was for our help that we gave during potlatch preparations  I was given a lovely little silk-screened bag full of goodies and my Mother was given an entire laundry basket full of presents for her help - she was there every night for a week helping prepare.

The CCC
The CCC is the Children's Cultural Celebration. This is basically a mini potlatch that teaches the children about their culture.

The kids prepare for this from September until May. Unlike the potlatch this event is photo-friendly. Mom took a few pictures before her camera died.

I participated in two of the dances and then spent the rest of the time backstage trying to help keep things organized. I have never been in such a chaotic, hot, and crowded space. The theatre person in me was freaking out but I settled for randomly glaring at the useless extra adults backstage. Parents of tiny toddlers brought them backstage and pushed them out of the curtain when the bigger kids went out. These toddlers would sort of dance, or fall, or sit there on the dance floor watching what everyone else was doing, very cute. It of course drove me crazy ha ha, these parents would be standing in the way of dancers who had rehearsed and some of them missed their cues, and these adults would be talking just as the teachers would be telling the students not to talk backstage. *sigh* I had a parent yell at me because I was trying to get the dancers ready and she wanted to take a picture of her daughter.  I have heard that from the front end of the hall the event appeared flawless and that the audience was very receptive to seeing the next generations doing their cultural heritage proud.

CCC- The Women's Dance of Welcome.

CCC - The women dancers exit the dancing area.



Me
My time at the moment is split between bunny care, teaching, and spending time with my Mom.
I had a lovely visit with my Aunt who came over for a few days, it was nice to have a guest here.
Having someone new around helps to remind me of all the amazing things I am surrounded by. On one of our outings this week we saw; eagles, ravens, crows, seagulls, a mink or marten, deer, and a huge seal. I still haven't seen any bear or wolves yet but the two large dogs on my block will be gone come June, and I have been told that this will probably mean more wolf activity in our area. There are bear claw marks on my neighbours compost bin, so they are around.

 My class remains difficult although we are doing better. This week one of my students farted and ran around the classroom fanning it out as widely as he could, giggling the whole time like a maniac. I had students hanging their heads out of windows and a mass exodus out into the hallways. The things they don't tell you about at teachers college. My big teaching success this week was getting kids to build obstacle courses for each other in PE, they loved it and the boys complimented the girls on a job well done (small miracle). Next week we will be very busy, I start report cards, we have a DARE graduation ceremony on Monday, Wednesday is a half-day for the kids and a massive staff meeting for us, and Friday is sports day. *phew*


 I have to book my trip home soon and although I will miss this place very much I can't wait to see my friends!!






No comments:

Post a Comment