Thursday, 16 January 2014

MC Sobs-A-Lot

Today I had the privilege of MCing an assembly in which one of my students shaved her head to raise money for her Aunt's cancer treatments. The entire school and part of the community showed up to support her.

I was unprepared for the power of the moment.

Our class made posters to show their support and we distributed them to the crowd. My amazing little student smiled as the clippers started above her ear and then giggled as it moved across her head. Tears started when her uncle moved the clippers to the front of her head. Full body sobs started as he continued to shave her head.

I urged the crowd to their feet and I was humbled by the outpouring of love and pride that the whole school sent to the brave girl. Throughout the process people stayed on their feet, shouting, crying, and clapping.

Her Aunty and her Mom were holding onto her hands and telling her how beautiful she was, how brave she was, how proud they were. They were all in tears. The gorgeous kid cried that she just wanted "Her Aunty Sheila."  Aunty Sheila is in Vancouver undergoing chemotherapy and the prognosis is not good. At this point I nearly lost it, I had to put down the microphone and take a moment.

When her Uncle finished shaving her head I grabbed my new hero's hand and held it up. I've seen some incredible things in my life but rarely has something moved me as much as that little girl's sacrifice. She sat down a student and stood up a mountain.

*Phew*

Then we had the culminating event of four months of fund-raising! A Pie-In-Face event!!

Our VP, PE teacher, and one of our fearless TAs all selflessly put themselves forward for getting pied. My favorite moment was when one of my former students came forward to pie the TA in his face! No sooner had he pied the man he took off running clear across the gym. Now every time he sees the TA he runs or hides.

Awesome.

1 comment: