Sunday, 20 October 2013

Things and stuff


  • The bunnies have settled into the grade seven classroom quite nicely. I went to check on them the other day and found the bunnies laying on their sides with Marshmallow quietly grooming Thumper. I miss the funny twosome but they are happy where they are.
  • Cabin fever has begun to set in. I find around 7pm every night I have this feeling of wanting to go out and do something but having nowhere to go. The other night I went for a walk and bumped into two fellow teachers who were on their way to try Hallowe'en costumes on their cats. They were both giggling with a slightly mad look in their eyes.
  • Every so often the school will host a themed family night, last Thursday we had Family Math Night. I had prepared some geometric art for students to do in my class. We pulled some big throw pillows out in the hall and students lay on them while working on their art, it was like a mini slumber party. Other teachers created math mazes, measuring rooms, and all kinds of math board games. We had about a hundred people at the school.
  • I haven't seen much in the way of wildlife lately. There was a boat trip offered for teachers to go out and try to spot the spirit bear.  Sadly I couldn't afford to go. The trip was ultimately unsuccessful in their search for the bear BUT they did see orcas and humpbacks!   
  • Our temporary band store was tentatively supposed to be finished by Hallowe'en, it hasn't been started yet. The land has been worked on but it looks as though Christmas is a much more realistic deadline.
  • Sitting here in my living room I am watching another massive ship go by, it really is like watching an apartment building silently drift past. 
  • My students continue to be both delightful and awful at the same time. I had two teaching firsts last week; My first ever apple gift from a student, and my first "My dog ate my homework" excuse. Every week my students are expected to complete their reading log, twenty minutes of reading a day with a minimum of three entries and a prize when they do all five. I've caught three students trying to fake parent or grandparent signatures. My tip off? Usually when adults sign their name they use a capital letter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment