Monday, 14 October 2013

Giving Thanks

I had three thanksgiving dinners this weekend!

Dinner One
The first was a huge community thanksgiving put on by the various business entities in the village. Many people were present and a huge dinner was served, it was great to be there with everyone and the food was lovely.

Dinner was followed by Nights Alive, a children's night at the hall, hosted by youth services. Two of my students had cornered me at the community dinner and asked me to come and watch so I did and it was a really great time. Kids of all ages gather at the hall and a youth worker sets up games for them. It is a fabulous atmosphere and it was so much fun to just let lose with the kids and not have to worry about being their teacher. Our new VP showed up and as he was running around he slipped and fell on his ass, I had to turn my head to keep from laughing too loud. The kids ate it up.

Dinner Two
My next door neighbour hosted a school staff thanksgiving which meant she had about 25 people smooshed into her apartment. We had a lot of fun and once again the VP broke into one of her electronic devices and changed the settings, this time he had help though, one of the Native language staff members helped him change the wall paper to that of a troublesome student of hers. Half way through the evening someone remembered that I had a risque CD from my teen years and I was peer pressured into going and getting it. Most of the music was fairly innocuous but there were two songs that were hideously embarrassing; Come Baby Come and Niggaz Don't Give a Fuck.  What can I say, my teen years were special.

Dinner Three
I knew two people in Bella Bella before arriving here, they helped me get the job. In point of fact I wouldn't have known about the position if they hadn't told me. Anyway they had a small group of us over for the most delicious Thanksgiving dinner I can remember having, ever. Soooo yummy and I got to have take home tapenade!

I can not recall a nicer or more relaxing thanksgiving!!





No comments:

Post a Comment