Every time I travel to a new place I find myself thinking of certain people who would enjoy their time there. Old Tallinn, made me think of a LOT of people but mostly my friend Kim because she
really loves her fairy tales. These pictures did not come out in the order I uploaded them...oh well.
Old Tallinn is an old medieval village, it is absolutely picturesque. Even the old city gates still stand to protect the city. The boat docked at about seven in the morning and no one in their right mind was leaving the boat that early, except us. We wandered out into the streets of Old Tallinn around 7:30 and the place was deserted, nothing was open and it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Four hours later there was barely room to turn around, as the rest of the tourists had descended. We were lucky to have come off the boat early as it enabled us to get some nice shots of the quiet town. I well and truly loved Tallinn and I hope to be able to go back again and spend some more time in this magical place.
 |
| This gargoyle is actually a downspout from the large central church. |
 |
| The cobbled streets of Old Tallinn were ridiculous, I had very sore feet at the end of the day and when I saw this woman hobbling around in her platforms I was impressed. |
 |
| The city gates and lots of tourists. |
|
| The exit to New Tallinn, the modern and rather dull part of the city. |
 |
| Cool Doorway |
 |
| The quiet deserted streets of early morning Tallinn. |
 |
| Don't know why but this made me laugh, perhaps because Iiri sounds Rastafarian to me? |
 |
| The church with the dragon gargoyles, it sits in a huge square in the center of the old town. |
 |
| Great Gargoyle |
 |
| Another Great Gargoyle |
 |
| I loved the look of this clock, it was located just to the left of a little post office where they hand printed post cards! |
 |
| In the streets of Old Tallin, young women dress up in historical garb and sell traditional roasted almonds from wooden carts. The image was somewhat ruined when we were there early enough to see the young woman in Medieval gear getting out of her van and checking her iphone. |
 |
| Awesome Pig planter! Seriously I want one! |
 |
| Very old statue on another of the churches that we found, you can really see where the weather has pitted away at this poor work of art. |
 |
| Wooden detail on doorway. |
 |
| My favorite gargoyle! |
 |
| One of my favorite parts of Old Tallinn is the alley ways and court-yards that you can find yourself in. This was one of many such alley ways and on the right hand side they had the most incredible doll store/museum just full of creepy looking gothic dolls and figurines. |
No comments:
Post a Comment