Life is progressing.
An average day for me goes something like this:
6:00 My alarm goes off and I slowly wake up.
6:30 I can start to expect a call from the dispatcher from this time on.
7:00 I start to get ready for work regardless of having a call or not because if a later call comes I want to be able to dash out the door.
7:30 This is usually the latest I get a call.
7:40 When I leave the house to walk to the Secondary school if I get a call there.
8:00 If I get a call this time or later I pay for a cab to take me to the school so I won't be late.
8:10-8:20 I arrive at the school, unless I'm in for a half day. I get the keys to my room, any special instructions, and I sit and read and try to absorb everything.
Note: There is a fine balance when it comes to giving a TTOC* notes for the day. You want to provide them with enough information but not over burden them with too much information. I've had unprepared teachers verbally tell me what they want done which is always a disaster because it's to much information to remember.
8:40 My day begins
10ish Usually recess or some kind of break.
11:45-12:30ish lunch.
2:40-3:15 End of day. I don't go when the bell goes. I sit and write a note about how the day unfolded, I include notes on behaviour, notes on lessons, notes on interruptions, etc. I also do any marking from the day.
Being a TTOC is an interesting gig. I have to be 100% on alert all the time. The students play games with you by changing their names or swearing up and down that they're allowed to do something that you suspect is against the rules. Sometimes other teachers are helpful, sometimes they treat you like you're invisible or worse a burden. Every school has its own culture and set of expectations as does every classroom in each of those schools. Most teachers you cover for have realistic expectations some do not.
On the upside I've met so many wonderful students and inspiring educators. Every time I'm in another person's room I learn something new or see another way of doing things. Last week I was in for a teacher who planned every day as though a TTOC was walking into her classroom. It was terribly clever, most of us have to come in even if we're terribly I'll to leave plans for a TTOC all she has to do is leave her day book open.
*TTOC = Teaching Teacher on Call.
No comments:
Post a Comment